- CIRCULARS CIF: C543 to Cyprus Investment Firms – Country Analysis Form (Form CA-CIF) – 31/12/2022 Submission CySEC – Latest Entries
- CIRCULARS CIF: C542 to Cyprus Investment Firms – Quarterly Statistics (Form QST-CIF) – 31/12/2022 Submission CySEC – Latest Entries
- UK cites security risk as it orders sale of Russian-backed broadband provider FT
- Total loosens Russian ties with Novatek writedown FT
- CIRCULARS CIF: C539 to Cyprus Investment Firms – Cross Border Reporting Template (CBRT-CIF) – 31/12/2022 Submission – Further Clarifications CySEC – Latest Entries
- EU to propose sanctions on Russia’s mining industry FT
- BOARD DECISIONS: CySEC Decision for the withdrawal of authorisation of Investment Compartment REFALCO CYPRUS INVESTMENT OPPORTUNITIES FUND CLASS A INVESTMENT SHARES (EUR) DISTRIBUTING (RAIF21_1) CySEC – Latest Entries
- European Commission proposes international tribunal to prosecute Russia war crimes in Ukraine JURIST – News – Legal News & Commentary
- CIRCULARS CIF: C537 to Cyprus Investment Firms – Cross Border Reporting Template (CBRT-CIF) – 31/12/2022 Submission CySEC – Latest Entries
- OECD has released Global Anti-Base Erosion Model Rules (Pillar Two)
US House Foreign Affairs Committee chair introduces diplomacy act to challenge China JURIST – News – Legal News & Commentary
May 27, 2021
Chairman of the US House of Representatives Foreign Affairs Committee Gregory Meeks (D-NY) introduced a bill on Tuesday to reinvigorate American leadership and engagement to respond to challenges presented by the People’s Republic of China. The Ensuring American Global Leadership and Engagement (EAGLE) Act spans nearly 500 pages and aims to push back against Chinese power by strengthening American alliances around the world. Meeks hopes that the bill will encourage “constructive competition” between the US and China and stay possible military conflict.
In a conversation with the Asia Society, Meeks noted concerning trends in Chinese governance like the surveillance of citizens, mistreatment of ethnic minorities, human rights abuses in Hong Kong and aggressive policing of disputed borders. Meeks declared that the US must “consider the environment that has enabled the PRC to act in the manner it does. We have to be frank about the fact that part of the reason is that we have allowed American leadership and American engagement globally to slip by the wayside.”
The Act addresses human rights issues in the Indo-Pacific in several ways. Specific provisions affirm American support for “the robust exercise by residents of Hong Kong of the rights to free speech, the press, and other fundamental freedoms” and establish increased protections for Hong Kongers fleeing persecution. The bill also condemns the ongoing genocide against Uyghurs and would block the import of any goods forcibly produced by Uyghurs in work camps.
According to the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), China emits more greenhouse gases than any other nation. The EAGLE Act aims to hold China accountable for its emissions through a variety of initiatives, including a push for renewable energy in the Caribbean to free the region from dependence on Chinese-funded coal and gas programs.
In a statement, Meeks asserted that the EAGLE Act’s push to provide the State Department with increased funds and personnel will buttress “the foundations of American statecraft” and “will help restore America’s global leadership to its rightful place.”
January 24, 2020Professional Tax – new tax for Cyprus companies
At the end of 2019 Cyprus municipalities introduced a new tax for Cyprus companies called Professional Tax.
July 10, 2020Cyprus: Since 1 of July Contributions to the GESY Fund Have Increased
From March 1, 2020, contributions to the Fund of the state health insurance system of Cyprus GESY were supposed to grow as part of the second stage of the reform of this system.
May 18, 2020CRS and FATCA: extension of reporting deadlines
In 2020, the deadlines for submitting financial statements in accordance with CRS and FATCA standards has changed.
December 03, 2019Happy Lawyer’s Day!
December 3 is the lawyer's day in Russia. Congratulations to our colleagues on their professional holiday!
May 08, 2020CySec: Changes of the Due Date for Some Obligations in Cyprus
The financial regulatory agency of Cyprus (CySec) has changed some due date obligations for issuers, providers and funds: The due date for the obligation of issuers to publicise the annual financial statements for 2019, is postponed for the 30 of June 2020. The due date for [...]
September 28, 2021Mishcon Forms Association With Hong Kong Firm, Bolstering Asia Investment Law.com
London-based Mishcon de Reya has launched its second international office in Hong Kong, a little over a year after its overseas debut in Singapore. The firm has entered into an association with Hong Kong disputes and investigations [...]
February 24, 2019Amendments to Cyprus Company Law
The Cyprus Department of Registrar of Companies and Official Receiver (ROC) announced amendments to the Cyprus Company Law.
April 15, 2020Professional consulting support of our specialists
Taking into account the current situation, our clients have a lot of different issues that require professional consulting support on-line.