- OECD has released Global Anti-Base Erosion Model Rules (Pillar Two)
- BOARD DECISIONS: CySEC Decision for the withdrawal of AIFLNP authorisation of RAM CYPRUS INCOME FUND LTD CySEC – Latest Entries
- CIRCULARS CIF: C470 to Cyprus Investment Firms – Quarterly Statistics, Form QST-CIF – Revised Form CySEC – Latest Entries
- Mishcon Forms Association With Hong Kong Firm, Bolstering Asia Investment Law.com
- Russian Gas Firm Executive Arrested in U.S. on Tax Charges WSJ.com: World News
- US arrests finance chief of Russian natural gas group Novatek FT
- Afghanistan dispatches: ‘Terrible changes and disasters have come upon society.’ JURIST – News – Legal News & Commentary
- EU Commission advances legal action against Malta and Cyprus over passport for investment scheme JURIST – News – Legal News & Commentary
- US House Foreign Affairs Committee chair introduces diplomacy act to challenge China JURIST – News – Legal News & Commentary
- DOJ releases part of Russian probe internal memo, seeks to block release of full document JURIST – News – Legal News & Commentary
US Secretary of State condemns Belarus’ Lukashenko over journalist arrest JURIST – News – Legal News & Commentary
May 25, 2021
US Secretary of State Antony Blinken condemned the actions of Belarus President Alexander Lukashenko Sunday in detaining opposition journalist Roman Protasevich.
Lukashenko’s security forces allegedly reported a false bomb threat on a Ryanair flight from Athens, Greece, to Vilnius, Lithuania. The flight was forced to redirect outside of EU airspace to Minsk, where Belarusian security forces arrested Protasevich. According to the BBC, Protasevich’s girlfriend Seofia Sapega was also arrested. Sapega is a Russian citizen studying in Lithuania.
Blinken demanded Protasevich’s immediate release and stated:
Independent media are an essential pillar supporting the rule of law and a vital component of a democratic society. The United States once again condemns the Lukashenka regime’s ongoing harassment and arbitrary detention of journalists. We stand with the Belarusian people in their aspirations for a free, democratic, and prosperous future and support their call for the regime to respect human rights and fundamental freedoms.
In a statement, Ryanair said they were told to redirect by Belarusian air traffic control and “apologize sincerely to all affected passengers for this regrettable delay, which was outside Ryanair’s control.”
Blinken assured that the US supports a full investigation into the arrest and will respond with the support of the EU, Lithuanian, and Greek officials and the Council of the International Civil Aviation Organization. Blinken’s State Department and the UN Human Rights Council have previously expressed concern over Lukashenko’s human rights abuses.
January 24, 2020Professional Tax – new tax for Cyprus companies
At the end of 2019 Cyprus municipalities introduced a new tax for Cyprus companies called Professional Tax.
July 10, 2020Cyprus: Since 1 of July Contributions to the GESY Fund Have Increased
From March 1, 2020, contributions to the Fund of the state health insurance system of Cyprus GESY were supposed to grow as part of the second stage of the reform of this system.
May 18, 2020CRS and FATCA: extension of reporting deadlines
In 2020, the deadlines for submitting financial statements in accordance with CRS and FATCA standards has changed.
December 03, 2019Happy Lawyer’s Day!
December 3 is the lawyer's day in Russia. Congratulations to our colleagues on their professional holiday!
May 08, 2020CySec: Changes of the Due Date for Some Obligations in Cyprus
The financial regulatory agency of Cyprus (CySec) has changed some due date obligations for issuers, providers and funds: The due date for the obligation of issuers to publicise the annual financial statements for 2019, is postponed for the 30 of June 2020. The due date for [...]
February 24, 2019Amendments to Cyprus Company Law
The Cyprus Department of Registrar of Companies and Official Receiver (ROC) announced amendments to the Cyprus Company Law.
April 15, 2020Professional consulting support of our specialists
Taking into account the current situation, our clients have a lot of different issues that require professional consulting support on-line.
February 17, 2020OECD has published a consultation document on the review of Country-by-Country Reporting
OECD released public consultation document that is based upon the mandate set out in the BEPS Action 13 report, and focuses on issues concerning the use of CbC reports by tax administrations for the purposes of a high level transfer pricing risk assessment. The public consultation document [...]