- CIRCULARS CIF: C543 to Cyprus Investment Firms – Country Analysis Form (Form CA-CIF) – 31/12/2022 Submission CySEC – Latest Entries
- CIRCULARS CIF: C542 to Cyprus Investment Firms – Quarterly Statistics (Form QST-CIF) – 31/12/2022 Submission CySEC – Latest Entries
- UK cites security risk as it orders sale of Russian-backed broadband provider FT
- Total loosens Russian ties with Novatek writedown FT
- CIRCULARS CIF: C539 to Cyprus Investment Firms – Cross Border Reporting Template (CBRT-CIF) – 31/12/2022 Submission – Further Clarifications CySEC – Latest Entries
- EU to propose sanctions on Russia’s mining industry FT
- BOARD DECISIONS: CySEC Decision for the withdrawal of authorisation of Investment Compartment REFALCO CYPRUS INVESTMENT OPPORTUNITIES FUND CLASS A INVESTMENT SHARES (EUR) DISTRIBUTING (RAIF21_1) CySEC – Latest Entries
- European Commission proposes international tribunal to prosecute Russia war crimes in Ukraine JURIST – News – Legal News & Commentary
- CIRCULARS CIF: C537 to Cyprus Investment Firms – Cross Border Reporting Template (CBRT-CIF) – 31/12/2022 Submission CySEC – Latest Entries
- OECD has released Global Anti-Base Erosion Model Rules (Pillar Two)
US arrests finance chief of Russian natural gas group Novatek FT
September 24, 2021
Newsletter: Europe Express
Your essential guide to what matters in Europe today. Delivered every weekday.
The US has arrested one of the most influential executives in Russia’s natural gas industry over alleged tax misconduct linked to tens of millions of dollars held in offshore accounts.
The Department of Justice in a statement on Thursday said Mark Gyetvay, chief financial officer at Novatek, allegedly schemed to defraud the US by hiding ownership and control over “substantial offshore assets’‘ that at one point were worth more than $93m. He was also accused of failing to file and pay taxes on millions of dollars in income.
According to an indictment returned by a federal grand jury, Gyetvay between 2005 and 2016 allegedly placed “lucrative” stock options or stock-linked remuneration from a “large Russian gas company” in two Swiss bank accounts, the US justice department said.
Authorities accused him of seeking to conceal his ownership of the accounts through manoeuvres including making his then Russian wife the beneficial owner. He also allegedly failed to file US tax returns on deadline or filed false ones to hide the fraud, despite being a certified public accountant with work experience in the US and Russia, the justice department said.
Gyetvay, a US national, has held a Russian passport since 2019. He did not immediately respond to requests for comment.
He joined Novatek in 2003 as CFO and a member of the management board to help transform Russia’s top independent gas producer in 15 years into the country’s leading liquefied natural gas processor and exporter.
Novatek is associated with the billionaires Leonid Mikhelson, its top shareholder, and Gennady Timchenko, a longtime friend of Russian president Vladimir Putin.
With Gyetvay as deputy chair of the management board since 2010, the company began operating its flagship Yamal LNG project in the Russian Arctic in 2017, attracting large investments from France and China. The company has a second LNG plant, Arctic LNG 2, under construction and a third in planning stages.
Yamal LNG counts France’s TotalEnergies as well as China National Petroleum Corporation and China’s Silk Road Fund as investors, which together own a stake of almost 50 per cent. Arctic LNG 2 is backed by Chinese, Japanese and French investors, who have already committed large stakes to the project.
Gyetvay is deemed to be among the most popular executives in Russia, with various publications ranking him among the top CFOs in the oil and gas sectors in the country and in Europe.
His initial court appearance was scheduled for Thursday in Florida. If convicted on all counts he faces the prospect of decades in prison.
January 24, 2020Professional Tax – new tax for Cyprus companies
At the end of 2019 Cyprus municipalities introduced a new tax for Cyprus companies called Professional Tax.
July 10, 2020Cyprus: Since 1 of July Contributions to the GESY Fund Have Increased
From March 1, 2020, contributions to the Fund of the state health insurance system of Cyprus GESY were supposed to grow as part of the second stage of the reform of this system.
December 03, 2019Happy Lawyer’s Day!
December 3 is the lawyer's day in Russia. Congratulations to our colleagues on their professional holiday!
May 18, 2020CRS and FATCA: extension of reporting deadlines
In 2020, the deadlines for submitting financial statements in accordance with CRS and FATCA standards has changed.
May 08, 2020CySec: Changes of the Due Date for Some Obligations in Cyprus
The financial regulatory agency of Cyprus (CySec) has changed some due date obligations for issuers, providers and funds: The due date for the obligation of issuers to publicise the annual financial statements for 2019, is postponed for the 30 of June 2020. The due date for [...]
September 28, 2021Mishcon Forms Association With Hong Kong Firm, Bolstering Asia Investment Law.com
London-based Mishcon de Reya has launched its second international office in Hong Kong, a little over a year after its overseas debut in Singapore. The firm has entered into an association with Hong Kong disputes and investigations [...]
February 24, 2019Amendments to Cyprus Company Law
The Cyprus Department of Registrar of Companies and Official Receiver (ROC) announced amendments to the Cyprus Company Law.
April 15, 2020Professional consulting support of our specialists
Taking into account the current situation, our clients have a lot of different issues that require professional consulting support on-line.