- OECD has released Global Anti-Base Erosion Model Rules (Pillar Two)
- BOARD DECISIONS: CySEC Decision for the withdrawal of AIFLNP authorisation of RAM CYPRUS INCOME FUND LTD CySEC – Latest Entries
- CIRCULARS CIF: C470 to Cyprus Investment Firms – Quarterly Statistics, Form QST-CIF – Revised Form CySEC – Latest Entries
- Mishcon Forms Association With Hong Kong Firm, Bolstering Asia Investment Law.com
- Russian Gas Firm Executive Arrested in U.S. on Tax Charges WSJ.com: World News
- US arrests finance chief of Russian natural gas group Novatek FT
- Afghanistan dispatches: ‘Terrible changes and disasters have come upon society.’ JURIST – News – Legal News & Commentary
- EU Commission advances legal action against Malta and Cyprus over passport for investment scheme JURIST – News – Legal News & Commentary
- US House Foreign Affairs Committee chair introduces diplomacy act to challenge China JURIST – News – Legal News & Commentary
- DOJ releases part of Russian probe internal memo, seeks to block release of full document JURIST – News – Legal News & Commentary
The European Commission steps up fight against money laundering and terrorist financing
May 21, 2020
The Commission has published a comprehensive Action Plan on its official website, which sets out concrete measures that the Commission will take over the next 12 months to better enforce, supervise and coordinate the EU’s rules on combating money laundering and terrorist financing.
Main provisions of the new Plan:
Effective application of EU rules: the Action Plan aims to ensure that the European Banking Authority makes full use of its new powers to tackle money laundering and terrorist financing.
A single EU rulebook: in the first quarter of 2021, the Commission will propose a harmonised set of rules that will eliminate the consequences of ambiguous interpretation of existing rules.
EU-level supervision: in the first quarter of 2021, the Commission will propose to set up an EU-level supervisor.
A coordination and support mechanism for Member State Financial Intelligence Units: the Commission will propose to establish an EU mechanism to help further coordinate and support the work of these bodies.
Enforcing EU-level criminal law provisions and information exchange: the Commission will issue guidance on the role of public-private partnerships to clarify and enhance data sharing.
The EU’s global role: the EU will need to adjust its approach to third countries with deficiencies in their regime regarding anti-money laundering and countering terrorist financing that put our Single Market at risk.
Also, a new methodology for identifying countries with strategic deficiencies in their national anti-money laundering and terrorist financing regimes that pose significant threats to the EU financial system was published.
A list of these countries and more detailed information in the official source:
January 24, 2020Professional Tax – new tax for Cyprus companies
At the end of 2019 Cyprus municipalities introduced a new tax for Cyprus companies called Professional Tax.
July 10, 2020Cyprus: Since 1 of July Contributions to the GESY Fund Have Increased
From March 1, 2020, contributions to the Fund of the state health insurance system of Cyprus GESY were supposed to grow as part of the second stage of the reform of this system.
May 18, 2020CRS and FATCA: extension of reporting deadlines
In 2020, the deadlines for submitting financial statements in accordance with CRS and FATCA standards has changed.
December 03, 2019Happy Lawyer’s Day!
December 3 is the lawyer's day in Russia. Congratulations to our colleagues on their professional holiday!
May 08, 2020CySec: Changes of the Due Date for Some Obligations in Cyprus
The financial regulatory agency of Cyprus (CySec) has changed some due date obligations for issuers, providers and funds: The due date for the obligation of issuers to publicise the annual financial statements for 2019, is postponed for the 30 of June 2020. The due date for [...]
February 24, 2019Amendments to Cyprus Company Law
The Cyprus Department of Registrar of Companies and Official Receiver (ROC) announced amendments to the Cyprus Company Law.
April 15, 2020Professional consulting support of our specialists
Taking into account the current situation, our clients have a lot of different issues that require professional consulting support on-line.
February 17, 2020OECD has published a consultation document on the review of Country-by-Country Reporting
OECD released public consultation document that is based upon the mandate set out in the BEPS Action 13 report, and focuses on issues concerning the use of CbC reports by tax administrations for the purposes of a high level transfer pricing risk assessment. The public consultation document [...]